IRC Bot made in both Python and Java
I help maintain and moderate (when it was relevant, now we just have fun) an IRC channel dedicated to user support for the game BeamNG.drive (www.beamng.com) located on the IRC server irc.beamng.com #BeamNG. If you have ever done any form of tech-support you know that the questions you receive are repetitive, very repetitive, and I for one, could only repeat myself so many times before I just had to come up with something easier.
An IRC bot was a great idea - there are literally thousands online and opensource - the most favourable being EggDrop. I however have integrity and cannot simply use such a thing to make my life easier. Instead, I opted to make one, well multiple, for myself.
Both of my final copies can be found here: https://github.com/daniel-Jones/BeamBot
One is programmed in Python, while the other in Java.
Both bots work in the same simple manner:
- Bot is started via a console
- It creates a socket connection to the IRC server, it then joins your selected channel and idles
- The bot runs enters a loop that both checks for messages, logs the channel, checks for certain key word commands and replies to PING/PONG
- When the bot finds a line that begins with '?' a file full of commands is opened and parsed one by one to find valid commands and provide a channel response
The bots are pretty simple, but has saved myself and others plenty of time.
My IRC nick is daniel_j I can be found at the following locations, why not say hi:
- irc.danieljon.es #fun
- irc.beamng.com #beamng, #offtopic, #speedsims