How I do what I do with my computer
I've never gone in depth on how I use my computer and the things that I do every day, so i'm going to now.
My environmentFor a few years now I have run only Linux and have found myself ending up on Arch Linux. I use the i3 window manager, I have not riced my computer, I find it to be unproductive and a hassle. I prefer to spend most of my time in the terminal, therefore I do not have a graphical file manager, I use a terminal-based music player, do my programming in vim and other things that don't need mentioning (password management etc). I use tmux for terminal multiplexing and I use lxterminal.
i3 setupI use dmenu for application launching, i3blocks as a status bar and heavily utilise i3 scripting for many of my system shortcuts.
i3blocksI currently utilise 7 desktops, each have their own purpose.
- Main - This is used to store my web browser (conkeror) and terminals that I immediately use/need. This is also the desktop I store the game I play (only CSGO).
- Music - This desktop is dedicated ONLY to a single terminal running cmus.
- Steam - I use this desktop ONLY for storing the steam client.
- Videos - I use this desktop to store a terminal running Ranger (terminal filemanager) in which I open my anime/movies/whatever with, I also store the mplayer window here.
- Moderation - This desktop is dedicated ONLY to Reddit moderation windows. I run a second irssi session on this desktop connected to a Slack gateway. I have two FireFox windows open, each with their own dedicated reddit pages (mod queue, /new etc). This is ALL I use FireFox for, I use conkeror for my personal browsing.
- Programming - This desktop is where I run a single terminal session running tmux. I split the terminal into two, more details on how I do my programming will come later. I also run a conkeror session in this desktop that I use to access language documentation/stackoverflow.